Originator: HR Department:
A Staff Accountant is responsible for maintaining financial records and confirming financial compliance through preparation of a company’s reports and statements. Staff Accountant reports to the Accounting Manager and Controller.
Duties and Responsibilities
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Assist in month-end close process by performing journal entries and account reconciliations.
• Prepare and reconcile intercompany transactions
• Prepare monthly bank reconciliations
• Prepare sales and use tax returns
• Prepare and maintain accounting-related subsidiary ledgers and schedules
• Recommend ways to reduce costs and enhance revenue
• Assist in analyzing and investigating monthly budget variances
• Assist with accounting research and/or process improvement projects
• Assist in preparation of documentation for external auditors
Essential Skills and Abilities
• Strong mathematical and analytical capabilities
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Advanced knowledge of Excel preferred.
• Proven ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously
• Strong understanding of sales and use tax regulations
• Solid understanding of federal, state, and local tax regulations
• Ability to work in a multi-entity environment
• Ability to work independently and prioritize tasks
• Ability to maintain confidentiality with a high degree of integrity
• Strong interpersonal/group skills with ability to influence others
• Effective organizational skills and attention to detail
• Willingness to foster a positive, dynamic work atmosphere
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to sit; use hands to handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stand or walk with the ability to lift up to 25 pounds at times.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
The employee must be available during the “core” work hours of 8:00a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.
No travel is required for this position.
Required Language Skills
Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos. Ability to write simple correspondence. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other employees of the organization.
Required Education and Experience
1. Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance required
2. At least two years’ experience in accounting or a related field
3. Strong mathematical and analytical skills
4. Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint)
5. Proven ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously
6. Ability to read and analyze financial reports
7. Strong understanding of federal, state, and local tax regulations
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
None required for this position.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.